Friday, November 30, 2007

Doritos


I love Doritos. Especially Nacho Cheese Doritos. They are so crisp when you open a bag, so flavorful, so vibrant. I freely admit that many a bag has not lived to see the morning- opened and then gone. Words fail me when I try to describe Doritos, the cheese, the spice, the corn! At times like this I think that the seminary should have trained me in poetry.

There is a dark side to my Dorito love affair. The aftermath. That heap in my gullet composed of masticated corn and artificial cheese. If I may be so bold, it is the cancer of food. You start with one but then they quickly multiply and you are left with a useless mass of false food in your stomach.

These weeks before Christmas, which we call Advent, can be much the same way. We are hungry, the semester has worn on and we are ready for something real, something satisfying, something that is greater than the world we live in. The world around us suggests Kay Jewelers, Norelco razors, and DLP flat screens. But we've tried these before in various forms- childhood toys, latest video games, and many others- and if we are honest, we've been left wanting.

These coming days of Advent, while we shop, bake, eat, study, and test, remember there is only one answer to the question we all carry inside: Jesus Christ. Reawaken your need for the Hope of the Nations, reawaken your need for Jesus Christ.

***This was my bulletin article for St. Thomas Aquinas Newman Center***

1 comment:

Tom in Vegas said...

Father Andrew-

I love Doritos. I love them TOOO MUCH!! LOL!

BTW, Father, consider yourself tagged. Come to my blog for the details.

Blessings,
Tom