Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Marriage on TV

So I'm wasting time that I should have used for reading, watching my favorite self-important TV show, House, when I see this new ad from a not linked free credit report website.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FspHU8hOxhY
"Well, I married my dream girl, I married my dream girl, but she didn't tell me her credit was bad. So now, instead of living in a pleasant suburb, we're living in the basement at her mom and dad's. No! We can't get a loan for a respectable home, just because my girl defaulted on some old credit card. If we'd gone to freecreditreport.com, I'd be a happy bachelor with a dog and a yard."
Throughout the video, the husband and his two friends are singing and playing their instruments while the wife stalks around, rather upset, doing house chores. She's throwing things and slamming doors, while he carries a mocking, self-satisfied look on his face. We give our engaged couples some general financial advice, but this is crazy. Has marriage simply become an avenue for social advancement?

If marriage is only the legitimization of a sexual and emotional relationship, why not? Maybe a vast majority of Americans have no sense of the singularity of marriage. Maybe it is true, as the canon lawyers say, that many couples don't even know what they are simulating as they attempt marriage and, from the very beginning, fail.

Now if we can just get the starving to realize they're hungry.

3 comments:

Adoro te Devote said...

That commercial drives me crazy, too.

You're basing your marriage upon a credit history? Then don't get married...you're not called to it. Have fun living in someone's basement.

Some years ago I was on a dating website (nothing ever came of it...I'm just not an "internet dater", no matter what kind of site it is), and I began speaking with one guy. But he kept on with the high society talk...all about HIS friends and HIS network and HIS social life...the guy was looking for a trophy. I do believe he really wanted to get married, but not for holy purposes...for advancement in his career. I was not interested.

What's sad is that his "take" on marriage was not unique.

Fr. Andrew said...

In some ways it furthers the notion that our whole outlook on the world is as a consumer. Babies, marriage, the elderly, are all viewed as commodities. Commodities can be exchanged, returned, or abandoned as the consumer sees fit.

Adoro te Devote said...

I don't know about you, but I'm sick and tired of being seen as a "consumer". It's one of the things that makes me wonder about life in a cloister...they are so FREE from all this stuff. Free to pursue God, free to be holy, and completely understanding...so much.

There are a lot of things on this earth that are commodities, but people are not.

I read an article today about such a "thrown-away" man. It reduced me to absolute tears.

Um...here's the link where I read it:

http://wardweb.blogspot.com/2007/12/blog-post.html

The comments from those who live in the area are even more touching.