Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Emmaus on Sermons and Homilies

Today we read the Gospel of Jesus' teaching the disciples who were on their way to Emmaus. Jesus gives the most sought after Scripture study, opening up the prophets and the law to show how His life and death fulfilled Old Covenant. Wow! Amazing! Can you imagine how holy you would be after all of that? "Were not our hearts burning within us!" say the disciples. One problem. They still didn't recognize Jesus. When did they recognize Him? The breaking of the bread- Luke's words for the Holy Mass! St. Luke uses the same phrase in the Last Supper as he does for Jesus' breaking the bread in Emmaus. The disciples only recognize Jesus in the Eucharist.

So what is more important for a priest like me? Homilies or the prayers of the Mass?

What is more important for a soul in the pews? An eloquent homily or the prayers of the Mass?

5 comments:

Chris said...

sancta missa has my vote.
great parallel w/the road to Emmaus

Adoro te Devote said...

Yeah...but an eloquent homily sure doesn't hurt! :-)

(But even if I were deaf, I'd be there faithfully because all of us can recognize Jesus in the breaking of the bread...)

Cathy_of_Alex said...

Father: Answer: C (none of the above), the Eucharist is the most important thing. However, it helps us appreciate the enormity of the gift if the Mass is prayed well and the Homily is relevent and theologically sound.

I don't color in the lines either-LOL!

Basically, I just said what Adoro did. I'd even throw in blind! :-)

Gashwin said...

Don't discount the power of a good homily Father! (I know that's not what you're saying) And certainly, preaching shouldn't devolve into performance, as it does in some circles ... :)

[Thanks for your comment at my blog. Not quite the hermit -- if you drop me an email: gashwingomes@hotmail.com I'll fill you in. More importantly, thanks most sincerely for your prayers.]

Joe of St. Thérèse said...

Exactly, this is why it's important that priests presenly, and futre priests say the black, and do the red. Jesus was physically there in Emmasus, I would have loved to be in that Scripture Study with Jesus :)