Monday, March 8, 2010

The Heart of Matters

A priest in Boulder, CO, is being attacked and bullied for obedience to his archbishop and to Church teaching. Pray for him and support him as you're able. This priest is in a very politically charged town and what is being done is a deliberate attempt to break his spirit and further normalize the idea of homosexual unions being equivalent to marriage. I think I'll even send him a card.

Read from Father Breslin's blog:
As I look around Boulder I recognize that there is ample love all around; but there is a scarcity of discipleship. I chose to be on the side of what was lacking. I chose to protect the faith over doing what would have looked like the loving thing to do. Perhaps some of you parents have been in the position to make a decision for your family that looked like the opposite of love, but was the right decision anyway.

My brothers and sisters, our school is a Catholic school and our teaching on the sanctity of marriage is as clear as a bell. So, the decision I made was based on my conviction that we needed to rest on the side of backing our beliefs and our values. We need to fight for our Catholic values because here in Boulder it seems, no one else is. In many ways, I feel quite alone, even though I know I am not alone. But I do feel like Coleridge’s Ancient Mariner—“alone, alone, all, all alone- alone on a wide, wide sea.”

And then visit his site to leave an encouraging comment. He gets double props for quoting the Rime of the Ancient Mariner.

If you want good advice and to mobilize some public witness, check out Father Z's blog.

I'm going to get ready to say Mass including prayers for Father Breslin and Sacred Heart of Jesus.

1 comment:

Mom with a Heart for God said...

Emailed Fr. Breslin to thank him for his courage. Thanks for letting us know!